EDCI 335

blog # 1

1. Through the video, Derek Muller uses several examples to provide that people are always blindly confident about new things and think they have mastered the knowledge. However, the fact is they didnā€™t grab the important point. As the video said, knowledge does not mean understanding. Derek Muller thinks learning is difficult, and people should pay utmost attention and effort because this process changes their minds. I do not totally agree about this sentence. For some knowledge, people truly do not know what it is, which means the learning process is not to change peopleā€™s minds but to acquire new knowledge. Nevertheless, people still need to focus on it and effort to the end. In order to have the best learning effect, high concentration is essential.
  2. Constructivism is quite hard to understand for me. In order to handle the concept, I put keywords in Google search and watched some YouTube videos to help me better understand the concept of constructivism.
  3. Here is a story about the piano. When I was a kid, someday I suddenly was keen on piano music, my parent saw what I was thinking and started my piano learning journey. However, learning piano is not easy for me, even though I did not know how to read musical scores and control my fingers playing music by piano. Behaviorism plays a role during my process of learning piano. With practice, I am more familiar with the piano and could play music entirely. Thus, I would like to use ā€œhabitsā€ to discuss my behavior. Due to periodic practice and review, I have acquired this skill.
  4. When I was studying in junior high school, the school held a summer camp to learn about the history of the United States, and visited different buildings. What made this learning experience so memorable for me was the perfect combination of passionate instructors, hands-on activities, and a supportive community.
  5. The behaviorist teacher would likely use a reward system to reinforce desired behaviors, such as giving praise or grades for correct answers or completion of assignments. The cognitivist teacher would also provide opportunities for students to connect prior knowledge to new information, encourage them to ask questions and guide them in developing their own frameworks and mental models related to climate change. The constructivist teacher might design learning activities where students conduct investigations, gather data, and engage in real-world problem-solving related to climate change.
  6. The process of learning piano is behaviorism, repeat practice helps me acquire every piano music.
  7. The process of learning statistics and mathematics is cognitivism. The instructor provides feedback and clarifies misconceptions. Through reflection, students gradually internalize problem-solving techniques and become more independent in applying them to new situations.
  8. The process of learning landscape design is constructivism. When the instructor assigns the task, students are divided into several groups. Engaging students in conducting research, collecting data, and constructing their understanding of the topic. They can discuss their findings and move projects forward.
  9. The cognitivism is more in line with my state of learning. I am glad to make a schedule, thus I can handle my time to fulfil assignments.

Reference

Ertmer, P. A., & Newby, T. J. (1993). Behaviorism, cognitivism, constructivism: Comparing critical features from an instructional design perspective.Ā Performance improvement quarterly,Ā 6(4), 50-72.